I had the opportunity to play Capcom’s Dragon’s Dogma last year at Nerd HQ really enjoyed myself. I think the problem with new RPGs is that they’re terrified to actually innovate, and often borrow systems and themes from other games of the same genre. It’s no coincidence that I felt like I was playing Fable mixed with WOW while I hacked my way through the beginning of KOA: Reckoning. From the small amount of time I got to spend with Dragon’s Dogma I was really impressed with how different the game FELT. It’s funny, I actually remember talking on the podcast ages ago about how great it would be to see Capcom try to produce a more Western RPG, and behold, we now have Dragon’s Dogma.
We just received a press release from the fine folks at Capcom regarding the upcoming Dragon’s Dogma demo and pulled out some of the key ideas.
- The Demo will launch before the retail release (doi)
- You will get to experience two of the game’s character classes.
- Class 1: A melee specialist
- Class 2: A rogue
- The Melee specialist story will actually be a prologue to the main game.
- The Demo will allow you to design your main avatar as well as your “pawn.” (Companion)
- Purchasers of Dragon’s Dogma will be able to export their demo characters at launch.
Dragon’s Dogma is scheduled for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in North America on May 22 and across Europe on May 25.